Monday, April 27, 2009

Ch 12 TPACK In-Service Education

Judith B. Harris helped infuse content and pedagogy back into traditionally “technocentric” (Papert, 1987 as quoted by Harris, Mishra and Koehler in this publication) K-12 technology integrations and reforms with her thoughtful use of activity types. I admire any flexible framework that can assist me in planning learning experiences that are varied, effective, appropriate and useful. These flexible design scaffolds are very helpful as an in-service teacher that prefers an andragogical approach that recognizes me as a " goal-oriented, purposeful organism" (pg. 267). I can use the activity types in "authentic [teacher] tasks" in my classroom which maximizes the utility of technology integration when developing my own TPACK.

The discussions by Harris made me reflect upon our school technology integration efforts. I was able to identify "efficiency aids" (reporting, attendance and evaluation systems) and "extension devices" (drill and kill sites and software) and how they differ from more "transformative" (wikis, blogs, rich student authoring tools, and other communication technologies that are beginning to support inquiry, collaboration and reconfigure student-teacher and student-student relationships) which our faculty is beginning to explore.

Harris' definition of technology integration is clear and purposeful.
The pervasive and productive use of educational technologies for purposes of curriculum-based learning and teaching.
I will use this definition when supporting technology integration efforts in my classroom and school.


No comments:

Post a Comment