Wednesday, February 4, 2009

TPACK CH2 reflection

Reading Chapter 2 has made me aware of the more subtle digital divides. I see the additional divides in public school and am encouraged by reading this chapter not to reinforce them. Access to hardware, software and internet access has always been the only digital divide I have been aware of in the past. Access to quality technology mediated instruction is an important issue. We struggle with this at Mt. Blue HS. I think it to have quality TMI there needs to be regular professional technology training for teachers and students. The technology committee at our school has worked hard at providign teacher training several times a year during early release days but I do not think it is enough. We are finding the gap between teachers use of technology widening. There is a need for basic computer training and advanced training.

Too often I have observed computers used to satiate students in study halls instead of being used as tools to communicate, inquire construct and organize knowledge. I do not use them as much as I would like to in class because of our non- 1:1 environment and network stability issues. If each student had a laptop and broadband access at home I would feel more comfortable spending more time building organized online learning environments and resources fpr my classes. I would like to use a wiki in all of my Physics classes. And I think that giving all my students a more challenging lab environment will increase their engagement and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment